print
print this section



a
a
a
change font size
Swallowing

After a stroke it can be difficult to eat and drink. You may cough or choke when you are eating or drinking. This can happen if the muscles involved in swallowing and chewing are affected by the stroke. Food or drink may go down the wrong way into your lungs which has the potential to cause chest infections.

Some signs that you may have swallowing difficulties are:


  • Choking or coughing whenever you try to swallow food or drink
  • Certain foods and drinks going down the wrong way
  • Coughing fits especially after mealtimes
  • Your voice sounds ‘gurgly’ after swallowing
  • Food is left in your mouth after a meal
  • Feeling chesty and unwell with a high temperature
  • Losing weight
  • Feeling slightly of out breath during or immediately after eating or drinking

Design & Development by Interesource Group (Ireland) Limited